Monday 15 February 2010

Valentine's Day Escape


In order to send my Valentine's Day greetings over the sea to Europe I took the train 50 km north of Boston to the village of Rockport in Cape Ann (email is so overrated!). I was extremely happy to smell the sea and stroll around the cute little fishermen's town that mostly reminded me of some Swedish towns. During the summer it must be full of tourists but in February it was relaxing and calm even though the long weekend and blue sky had attracted also some other tourists with their cameras hanging around the neck.


After an amazingly delicious carrot cake and coffee in Bean & Leaf Café (I would highly recommend this nice café by the water, just the place you want when you're travelling) I started my hike along the coast of Cape Ann to Gloucester, south of Rockport. I didn't really manage to escape into the wild nature as I was never very far away from the road or the houses but the walk was pleasant and served well as an out-of-city experience. Actually, the first smaller path I took (below in the photo) already made me think of some American thrillers so I guess getting completely lost in the wilderness would have incited my imagination a bit too much (weird that the American films affect me much more here and I see myself as a character escaping a murderer in a forest even though in Finland this wouldn't even cross my mind). And come on, the path was paved so it wasn't like Jack Nicholson was waiting me behind the corner with an axe...


Above all, the path was finished after around 50 metres so I continued on a road.

On my way, there were some really amazing houses in the most beautiful places. The architecture and landscape made me think of (if not "Shining") John Irving's novels.

The ocean wasn't frozen but some small ponds allowed people to practice ice hockey. Irving's characters however always do wrestling...


Half way through my walk, I arrived at Long Beach (my telepatic destination because of it has clear connection to Europe, however, I also used phone). Off season, all the holiday houses were closed and instead of sunbathers, people walked with their dogs there. I had my picnic and started to be somewhat bored of walking; my Converse shoes were not made for such a long trip. I made the next 5 km though and enjoyed a lemon-poppy seed cake and a tea in a café in Gloucester (pronounced "gloster" as I learnt when asking for the road). I thought I deserved the second cake of the day spending the Valentine's Day alone and walking more than 10 km. Hmmm, I should really write more about the American pastries, cookies and cakes; I'm a big fan - but I hope I won't literally be big fan after 4 months here...


No comments:

Post a Comment