Friday 25 June 2010

Countryside Escape

As I complained about the clichés in Kirsi Piha's book "Medicien naapurissa" about her countryside house in Le Marche (Peter Mayle and Frances Mayes in a less romantic Finnish way), I was mentioned that I have also fallen for some clichés in my blog entries. I have to admit that it is hard to write about Italy without some clichés or stereotypes (and, though it might be hard to believe, I'm not a professional writer). I don't consider myself as very biased when it comes to Italy, rather I'm very critical about the country's politics, gender equality and Florentines' manners towards foreigners. I think I understand (at least most of the time) when I can't be overly positive about the Italians even though I often try to find reasons for their bad behaviour or excessive testosterone. Indeed, yesterday, during the Slovakia-Italy football match, I changed sides in the middle of the game after the Italian player kicked the Slovakian goal keeper in the groins with no reason. No matter how gorgeous Cannavaro looked (and he did!) or how cute Buffon was on the side of the pitch, I could no longer support their disgraceful behaviour and I can only hope that the elimination of their team from the World Cup will change their style of playing.

Montepulciano behind lavender bushes.

It is not that I haven't noticed the smell of piss on the Florentine streets during hot days or I've never faced nasty service here, but I rather deplore the ecological problems than use my time on complaining about the Italians (though I could write a word or two about their driving culture with a slightly irritated and negative tone). And even if it's a cliché, the countryside here must be one of the most beautiful places in the world, the wine is excellent and food... I just can't help talking about the good food...


After a tour in Val d'Orcia, you can't say a bad thing about Italy at least for a few weeks. During our three-day visit in the Southern Tuscany, we saw such breathtaking views and had such a great service (still off-season, locals were not yet totally exhausted by the tourists) that you owe not to complain for a while. So, in order to prove my objectivity, here's some evidence of the countryside beauty there:

Village of Montepulciano is a perfect Renaissance hill town where we of course indulged in Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, one of the nicest wines of Tuscany.

Town of Pienza, 20 km West of Montepulciano is another picturesque town founded by Pope Pius II and now UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Driving around in Val d'Orcia region through the small roads is a pleasure, at least if your driver isn't getting annoyed by the repeated "Stop!" shouts for photoshooting. Also, your rented Fiat Panda might have difficulties in making its way up the hills.

Brunello di Montalcino is acknowledged as one of the best wines in Italy. In the town of Montalcino you don't need to pay excessively to taste some.

Sant'Antimo's beautiful abbey.

Even more in the South, lies the town of Pitigliano on a dramatic site on top of a hill. It's worth going for the night view and its white wine Bianco di Pitigliano.

No comments:

Post a Comment