Tuesday 10 August 2010

Ever Fallen in Love

Summer holidays are now over, but piano, piano as the Italians would say, no hurry. I have to switch on to working mood smoothly after almost one month of Finnish summer activities. Today, I made some progress. I turned on my computer with some reluctance and with some hazy concentration I read 6 pages of a document I should revise. Finally I decided that I needed some tea (morning's golf tour was probably tiring my mind...).

During the following free hours offered by my tea break (and then it was just too late to work anyway), I browsed through last year's women's magazines that are piling up in all the tables of my parents' house. I don't follow music blogs and I don't listen to radio, so I'm usually very unaware of what's happening in the current music business. Indeed, I have to admit that I sometimes get good hints from Me Naiset, a magazine my mother reads. This time I discovered Noisettes, a great British trio with a leading female singer who is not only incredibly beautiful but also has an amazing voice. I fell in love and bought their album immediately (oh, the greatness of iTunes).

One of their songs is a cover "Ever fallen in love". I only knew another cover of the song, also a very good version of it by the French group Nouvelle Vague. The original actually dates from 1978 and is written by Pete Shelley and performed by his group The Buzzcocks (never heard). In Wikipedia I found out that also a Finnish version of the song is made, titled as Neiti C (by Punk Lurex OK, never heard). The original one is slightly punkish and, in this case, covers are much better, but I can't really say which one I like more, Noisettes or Nouvelle Vague. Here are the three versions.








And tomorrow I'm really planning to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment