Thursday 20 January 2011

Bronze, Golden and Inner Buddhas






I guess you can't visit Laos, and Luang Prabang in specific, without some Buddhist awakening. I got mine during the full moon chanting in a beautiful temple when I was listening to the orange-dressed monks kneeled in front of a golden Buddha. It was such a tranquil atmosphere that I couldn't help imagining how much better place the world would be if all the religions were as peaceful and concerned mostly by the individual achievement of inner enlightenment (to be honest, I still have very weak understanding of Buddhism and my assessment is only based on this short period of observation). After the chanting, I chatted with a monk who had, just like all the others, just shaved his head. He recommended me meditation and even to my own surprise I heard myself replying: "I should indeed." It wasn't merely to please the friendly monk but I was actually seriously considering trying meditation. I'm inspired by the tranquility of Luang Prabang, Laos and Buddhism and I'd love to bring some of it back home as well (the bronze miniature Buddha doesn't count).

At dawn, I woke up to see the daily alms giving to the monks. The monks parade through the city and local believers give sticky rice and other food. The monks only have a breakfast and lunch so this is enough for them.

In the evening, I was too full after my great dinner in the New York Times recommended restaurant 3 Nagas, so I was unable to meditate (or whatever you want to call the peaceful moment of emptying your mind of useless thoughts and concentrating on breathing for a few minutes). The same happened again the following evening. Now, I have moved on from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng that is sort of backpackers' paradise full of stupidity, 'tubing' in the river and drugs. My bungalow is luckily on the other side of the river, a bit further away of these people who have for some unknown reason painted their chest in neon colours. Maybe in my beautiful garden I will find the time to seek again the tranquility of temples.

Full moon chanting.

2 comments:

  1. Hei, tämänhän ei muistaakseni pitänyt olla mikään Eat, Pray, Love -reissu, mitä kritisoit joskus taannoin!! Kaksi ensimmäistä etappia näyttää kuitenkin olevan jo saavutettuna :)
    Pidä huolta!

    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma tiedan, mun pitikin tuossa mainita, etta tassahan nyt seuraillaan Julia Robertsin jaljilla aika pahasti. Missa se Javier Bardem lymyaa onkin sitten asia erikseen. Mutta haluaisin kylla korostaa meditointiajatuksen ei rukouksellista puolta ja seuraavassa blogikirjoituksessani ehka erkanen jalleen Eat, Pray, Love -linjalta.

    ReplyDelete