Monday 25 April 2011

Monday's Reputation Revisited

I couldn't possibly care less about politics on a such a splendid long weekend. The True Finns gained amazing share of the votes last weekend but fortunately I managed to process my anger, frustration and disappointment during the 3-day work week (much of the working time was indeed spent reading blogs, following social media and trying to understand what the heck is going on in the Finns' head, and yes, I became a member of the Green party as well!) and was able to completely relax during this 5 -day weekend.

These sunny Mondays spent on the terrace of Le Pain Quotidien (love it!) with bio-croissant, Le Monde and International Herald Tribune (and actually enough time to read them thoroughly instead of reading the old news throughout the following week) and then on my own terrace are really good for the usual reputation of Monday (I'm afraid, Tuesday will have a drop in popularity though) and for my tan as well.


I have to say that although the Easter weekend doesn't usually make me search for my inner spirituality, this weekend has taken me to the religious world through the reading of Confessions d'un Cardinal, our Bookclub's next read and 'the book that the whole Church is talking about' according to the cover (the book also has a Facebook fan page with 3 people liking it, I guess they don't facebook that much in Vatican...). I've been mostly suffering due to my daily dose of 50 pages of an anonymous cardinal's confessions as I've become to learn that the Catholic religion nor its Vatican leaders do not interest me. By the way, I would really wish the editor of the book to reconsider the title as after 400 pages I'm still waiting impatiently some scandalous scoops...

Nevertheless, one interesting idea comes through the reading of the confessions and if I understand it correctly (to be honest, I haven't been reading that carefully) it would mean that in order to still be appealing to people, the Church should be in service of the poor and counterbalance the nefarious effects of the capitalist globalisation directed by money and business only. Indeed, who could better defend the disadvantaged of the world than the Church that doesn't need to worry about the electoral results or economic cycles?

Hmm, I didn't really mean to write about religion, rather about sunny Mondays and how we should only work 4 days a week and have 3-day weekends...

1 comment:

  1. I'm only now discovering your set of reflections from the past couple of years, and as the autumn chill descends on Chicago, I'm finding them quite enjoyable to read.

    After reading this post, I'm happy to relate that I too have committed to voting Green in the next U.S. election cycle. I don't think Democrats in this country are doing a good job of standing up for their constituents' interests. The Greens are merely a dot on the U.S. political landscape, but at least some of their candidates push for the kind of political awareness I support (and which you describe in brief here).

    As for the Confessions, your post reminded me how much fun it is to read Rousseau's, which indeed contains its fair share of scurrilous scandal. Perhaps I'll return to that text during the cold winter months here.

    ReplyDelete