Friday 27 January 2012

On winter - by B. Jones

Remember when, about four weeks ago, I declared my aim to practice for a half marathon? Well, the snow remains on the ground and it's too cold and dark to run voluntarily if not for a bus. I have tried to minimise my time on the snowy ground in general. And still, I've fallen twice (Italian shoes + lack of practice).

The first time in front of a male friend. He didn't gallop to help me. This lack of gentlemanly behaviour should have signalled me already something more that I grasped at the moment when I tried to get up with my knee hurt. Indeed, this leads me to the conclusion I've reached during the last five months (and my adult life in Finland at large): the Finnish guys just lack all the balanced passion and attention, playful devotion and courage that can inspire me in some guys I've met abroad. Oh yes, on a weekend trip in Paris and a work trip in Brussels I noticed so clearly what I was missing in Finland besides sun. God dammit, how can the French guys be so bloody cute?

The second time in front of an 8 o'clock tram stop busy with people. Left me with a mark on my thigh but less visions about the people in Finland.

Of course, it's pretty outside. But in the back of my mind I hope that the snow will melt during my trip to the Philippines. And yes, this blog is turning into a Bridget Jones Diary...

No comments:

Post a Comment