Thursday 12 September 2013

Hoarding for autumn

I arrived to England yesterday morning. It was freezing in York. I needed to take a long bath (though I don't complain, there's some luxury into it) in the evening trying to warm up myself. And this despite the fact that the first thing I did in York was to buy an umbrella and a cardigan.

After equipping myself for the British autumn weather (and well, after some conference stuff), I went to discover Marks and Spencer's food department and purchased some nice souvenirs: jam, crumpets, cookies, tea, fudge, and some odd but super delicious Welsh cakes (already gone!). Today I continued with some more cookies and chutney in Bettys, which seems to be the top place to have afternoon tea in York (at least their take-away scones were fantastic). 


Though England is a bit like Switzerland - it doesn't move me much emotionally - I love the grocery stores and the little delis here. I might have even got a bit carried away with my shopping, but after building up this hoard of English goodies, the autumn is very welcome in Helsinki as well. How nice to eat an onion chutney sandwich in a park and watch the leaves fall down from the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment