Monday 19 October 2009

Customer service at the customs office

For almost three weeks now I’ve been impatiently waiting for my Lonely Planet guide of Egypt and Arabic Phrasebook to arrive (in the meantime I already bought a second hand Lonely Planet for Cairo). I finally got a notice that they would be in a post office in Schöneberg. This seemed very odd as we have a post office just down the road. I waited for the sunny weather until today to do this bike trip.

At arrival I gave my notice to the officer woman at the desk. I was obliged to ask if she spoke any English since I couldn’t understand her questions. “Ich spreche Deutsch”, she replied. Well, my German knowledge might be limited but I’m not so stupid that I couldn’t have figured out that she spoke German. I’ve already been pretty sceptical about the language competence of the Berliners but I was irritated by this more Eastern European way of compensating for lack of English with impoliteness.

Fortunately I avoided an impasse as her not much friendlier colleague asked me about the content of the parcel in poor English. “Hard to say as I don’t know the sender, but I believe it contains some books.” “Bücher”, the man translated. Then an idea came to my mind: “I also just had my birthday, maybe somebody sent me something.” Well, this was wishful thinking but I survived the test and got a number to wait for my turn.

Staring slightly humiliated (but proud since at least I didn’t cry) the posters on the wall about terrorists and murder series in Germany, I finally understood that this was a post office for suspicious cases, that is, it was some kind of a customs office. Nobody looked very dubious but I was wondering what kind of a treatment would a person with a long black beard get.

I was distressed about the content of my package but eventually I was called in. Three weeks my innocent travel guidebooks had been waiting for me in this place that seemed like a shelter employment for socially challenged people. I opened the package – which was already open so why all the big fuss? – and almost burst to laugh. Was the war against terrorism going so far that even people planning a trip to an Islamic country (not to mention wanting to learn a few words of Arabic with a help of a Lonely Planet phrasebook) were now suspects?

No comments:

Post a Comment