Wednesday 7 October 2009

Giant Escape - or almost


Royal de Luxe is an amazing marionette open-air theatre group founded by Jean Luc Courcoult in Nantes in 1979. The giant marionette puppets of Royal de Luxe have toured the world ever since. I had the opportunity to see them here in Berlin last weekend. Well, this chance was seized by another half a million people (estimation is author’s own) who ruined my chance to see anything at all. After being pushed around in the crowd for two hours, during which we managed to walk from the halfway of Unter den Linder to the Brandenburg Gate, we decided to give up. My only glimpse of the girl marionette is illustrated below.


The pictures I later saw on the happening only enhanced my grand deception. To demonstrate the real beauty of the performance (that I couldn’t unfortunately see live), I display here a few photos (also the first one on top) from http://www.riesen-in-berlin.de/en/the-giants-arrive/photo-impressions-berlin2.html



You see, it must have been half a million and not just my exaggeration.



The magnificent Sultan’s Elephant wasn’t part of the show in Berlin but in my opinion it is the most wonderful creature and you should check out this beautiful video.

P.S. I just read that during the four days Royal de Luxe was in Berlin 2 million people followed them in the streets. So my estimation of Saturday's half a million was pretty close.


No comments:

Post a Comment